This post is also available in: עברית (Hebrew)
The Punjab Information Technology Board (PITB), an autonomous body set by the Government of Punjab (a region partly in North India and partly in Pakistan) to provide the foundation for the region’s innovative economy, has received a request from the Dubai Police to develop new technologies to serve law enforcement organization and citizens.
According to techjuice.pk, Dubai Police Chief and head of “Smart Dubai” initiative, Abdullah Khalifa, made a formal request to the Punjab Information Technology Board during a meeting recently. The meeting was held between Abdullah Khalifa and the Chairman of the PITB Punjab, Dr. Umar Saif.
The meeting highlighted the milestones reached by the Board with the participants agreeing that the efforts are in line with the goals of the Smart Dubai initiative. Dr. Saif said that it is a great moment for not just PITB but all Pakistani citizen as it is a huge confidence in the abilities of the Information Technology sector of Pakistan. It is also a major step towards the development of automation capabilities for the country.
Dr. Saif brought to light the fact that all the 712 police stations in the 36 districts of Punjab have benefited from technological digitization. Each police officer has been trained to use the new technology with the result that all processes that involve the police are now carried out faster than before. These included lodging of complaints to the investigation stage and other processes.
These efforts, he said, had been recognized by the whole world with the Dubai Police department being one of the parties destined to benefit from the same. Such worldwide recognition is a strong indication that the Punjab Information Technology Board is taking major steps towards a world reliant on technology.
According to Smart Dubai Initiative website, the Smart Dubai Platform is being built through a collaborative and interactive process with all city stakeholders. Security is central to the Smart Dubai Platform, and the project ensures the secure checks and balances at every level of the Platform through comprehensive and proactive cyber security defense mechanisms. The platform will be the secure hub of Dubai’s citywide Internet of Things (IoT) network. All city data will be aggregated and analyzed through the Platform, powering real-time analytics dashboards for the city.
Some of the platform benefits:
– Personalized dashboards and analytics tools for individuals, business owners, government departments, and city leaders.
– A unified, single-sign-on digital ID that will permit individuals to access hundreds of city services with one secure username and password that is also linked to their Emirates ID.
– A secure digital payment gateway.
– The Platform will be available as a “Platform as a Service” to government entities or the private sector to be able to benefit from the full suite of services provided by the platform.
– All users will benefit from real-time app environment, powering live dashboards and other time-dependent operations such as traffic monitoring; smart grids connected through the internet of things.
– The Platform will be fully enabled with geo-location data support, enabling advanced responsiveness in emergency medical response, event planning and transportation logistics.
– The Platform will store the complete catalog of open and shared city data, enabling efficient and secure data sharing and secure data-cloud services for the city – the source for open city data for entrepreneurs, city planners, and business owners.