This post is also available in: עברית (Hebrew)
The U.S. is weighing a “range of options” to respond to the hack of Sony Pictures, U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said recently. However, he declined to say how the government will respond to what it regards as “a very serious attack.”
Speaking on MSNBC, Mr. Johnson said the U.S. has “no specific, credible intelligence” of a plot to launch attacks on movie theaters reminiscent of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.
A threat to that effect spurred Sony to cancel the Christmas Day release of its film “The Interview,” which depicted the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
According to The Wall Street Journal, the White House said Thursday the hack was carried out by a sophisticated actor and is being treated as a serious national security issue. Speaking to reporters, White House press secretary Josh Earnest said the investigation was still under way and the U.S. was weighing a “proportional” response.
Since then, evidence has surfaced implicating North Korea.