This post is also available in: עברית (Hebrew)
The following is a summary and analysis of the terrorist attacks and counter-terrorism operations that occurred during October 2013, as researched and recorded by the ICT Database Team. Among the most important events occurring this October:
- On 5 October, a team of US Navy Seals carried out a strike targeting Abdikadir Mohamed Abdikadir, a senior Al-Shabab Al-Mujahideen commander, at his seaside villa in the southern town of Baraawe, Somalia. In a separate but coordinated incident, US forces launched a raid in Tripoli, Libya, and apprehended Abu Anas al- Libi, a suspected Al-Qaeda operative. He was wanted for his role in the 1998 US Embassy bombings in Kenya and Tanzania. He faced trial in the United States where he pleaded not guilty to the charges against him.
- On 7 October, IDF soldiers discovered the opening of a tunnel built by Gazan terrorists near Israeli civilian communities. Israeli authorities said that the tunnel was approximately 18 meters deep and 1.7 kilometers wide. Hamas claimed responsibility for the construction of the tunnel. This was the third such tunnel discovered along the Gaza-Israel security fence in 2013.
- On 15 October, Russian authorities foiled a suspected plot by Islamist militants to bomb the Maradykovsky chemical weapons storage and disposal facility in the Kirov region, approximately 1,000 kilometers northeast of Moscow. Two suspects, aged 19 and 21, were arrested.
- On 21 October, Naida Asiyalova, a female suicide bomber detonated her explosives on a bus in Volgograd, killing six people and injuring 37 others. Asiyalova was the wife of Dmitry Sokolov, a militant from the republic of Dagestan, who authorities claimed was the mastermind behind the attack and who was later killed in a firefight with security forces.
- On 27 October, a coordinated series of ten car bombs exploded in mainly Shi’ite Muslim areas in and around Baghdad, killing approximately 60 people and injuring 100 others. The bombs were placed in parked cars and detonated over a 30-minute period, targeting markets and bus stations.
- On 28 October, two civilians were killed and 38 others were injured in Tiananmen Square, Beijing, when a jeep crashed into a bridge in front of the Forbidden City. Authorities arrested five people in connection with the attack.
Click here for the full ICT Database Report – October, in PDF format.