Missile Deal Reflects Line Crossing in NATO

Missile Deal Reflects Line Crossing in NATO


This post is also available in: heעברית (Hebrew)

Russia and Turkey have been tightening their defense collaboration, while Turkey is still a NATO member. Turkey would be the first NATO member state to acquire the  Russian-made S-400 missile system.

Russia will provide loans worth US$1.375 Billion to help Turkey pay for its purchase of the S-400 surface-to-air missile defenדe system. Turkey will pay 45 percent of the cost up front, with Russia providing loans to cover the remaining 55 percent of the deal worth US$2.5 Billion, Sergei Chemezov, head of Russian state conglomerate Rostec said.

Earlier this year, Turkish President Erdogan had confirmed that his country has paid ןn advance for the missile defenדe system, kicking off the acquisition process. However, the amount of advance was not made public.

Turkey will have to pay $1.125 Billion as cash for the S-400 purchase (45 percent of $2.5 billion), according to defenseworld.net.

Russia will supply Turkey with four S-400 surface-to-air missile systems under the deal that is almost finalized, Chemezov said. Moscow expects to begin the first deliveries in March 2020, he said. He said the Russian and Turkish finance ministries had already completed talks on financing the deal.

The surface-to-air S-400 missile systems have been in service with the Russian Armed Forces since 2007. The current systems feature an improved radar system and updated software; its estimated range is 150 kilometers.